It’s curious to check that despite the differences in the types of connection and the levels of penetration of internet throughout Europe, there’s a common approach to the uses that Europeans give to internet. The following is a list of facts of internet use in Europe:
- More than 50% of homes do have internet access.
- There’s a big difference between Nordic countries (near saturation level – limited growth) and countries like Greece and Ireland (low saturation level – way ahead for future growth).
- Eastern countries have low penetration levels but stand out in daily use. Previsions for 2013 is that Hungary reaches a 71% of penetration, matching same level with UK or Germany.
The type of connection conditions the use of internet (broadband, mobile access…). But in the lasts 6 months, the pattern of use of internet has been repeated in all european countries.
- The first use of internet is functionality: information search, price comparison, travel bookings…
- The second main use is entertainment: social networks, online video, music downloads…
- The third in order of use is communication: e-mail, instant messaging, voice calls
Spain also follows this pattern of use, just to highlight that we have the last position in functionality use, while we outstand for the communication use of internet.
Source: Europa Online